Sunday, August 15, 2004

a note on names...

just so that i will have taken note of it: i've obviously renamed every town, every person and district and location and even myself, to fend off the perils of being found in a search engine by the people i'm talking about... before this blog, i was on a website where i wrote about my family and the place where i live, and one night a guy i know comes up to me and says "so i found out your secret identity." and i was like, what? and he said he was bored one night and searched under the name of this town and came across my website Glore-phoria, which sadly has such an interesting-sounding real name that it perks everyone's interest who sees it in a list of search results, so he goes in there and sees all this other information about me. Not a big deal, but it made me think, "oh... so this looks like a little warning of something that could be a really huge disaster in the future... potentially..." and then when my aunt, who has the same name as me, did a search on her name for the heck of it and came up with my profile on hellish-looking Glore-phoria, and nearly had a heart attack and told all my family that i was in a cult of some kind, that was the last straw. so i started thinking up new names for all the places in my life, and i was going to keep the same names for the huge towns that would have lots of other hits on the net in a search, but then i noticed that these little towns would be easilly placeable if i mentioned what massive city was nearby, complications etc., so i said to myself "screw it! everybody gets a new name! across the board, from now on!" so now i get to create a whole parallel universe for myself... it's not that difficult actually, and actually it opens up a new way of looking at these places in a way, and makes my experience of these places more personalizable to my own, private take on each of them... so it's kind of useful in multiple ways... and i'll just continue to rename places as i come across them, as well as people and businesses, until it becomes too annoying or over the edge...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home